Puttering





It's almost the middle of August... I haven't spent much time doing anything of consequence.  I wound up having to have a lot of roofing replaced so my budget is gonzo.  I've been doing the jobs that I have materials on had for but they're yukky jobs so I've been putting them off - like laying new poly on the dirt floor in my crawl space (shudder!) and I have to get up in the attic to run new wires for ceiling fixtures (double shudder!).  This past weekend  I restrung my clothesline and then the smoke from all the wildfires began moving into our region. UGH. Not hanging anything outside when it's this smoky!!






I finished my garden arbour and hung my fave sign on the gate. This sign was beyond easy to make, it's just a piece of rough lumber that I slapped a pretty turquoise paint onto and then hand wrote the words with a thick Sharpie. Love this sign.





I found another old door that I used to replace the last remaining solid wood door on my potting shed. The other door was too small and had no window.  Plus I had to gerry rig a "shutter" opening to cover the full width of the opening since the door was too narrow to cover the whole thing.

With the new (and super cute!) door that is the proper size for the opening, the shed looks like the image I had in my head when I started building it!! So pleased! Of course I did have to take 4" off the bottom edge as the shed isn't very tall, but it looks so much better.


This is how it looked when I first built it.  I'm so glad I managed to find 3 doors with windows in them that were the right size for this shed.  For more details on this shed, click HERE



I've been relocating plants all summer long.  Between differing exposures, soil types and the cat/dog problem, it's been really difficult to balance sizes and shapes.  I cannot grow bleeding hearts against the fence line with Izzy in my life since she crashes through everything in the garden to get at the squirrels who use the top of the fences as a highway.  The cats jump on every plant that the hummingbirds and bees/wasps frequent - and Izzy goes after them, too, now because she imitates everything those bloody cats do.  She has adopted a lot of cat habits!!  Most of my taller perennials are ground into the dirt, broken and/or have a big gap in the center of the plant from one of the pets charging through it.





There are 3 bleeding heart plants underneath the lattice on the fence shown below.  They have been trampled to the ground by the brat in the center of the photo.



Aside from the pet issues, I'm pretty pleased with the progress of my yard and garden.  Now to spend the end of summer enjoying it rather than working on it!

Have a wonderful weekend!


With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!



Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. Anne,
    I hope the fires are put out soon! The seems to causing some breathing problems for people too.
    The shed looks terrific with the doors! I also have a couple of old doors and a bunch of windows I have collected to make a potting shed. It probably won't happen for awhile, but I do want to use it to grow plants from seed. Do you use yours for plants or just storage? BTW, the yard look great. One reason we didn't get another dog: our shepherd used to dig a lot. And we had no plants in the backyard for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been using the shed just for storage, it keeps the garden stuff close to the garden and out of my workshop. Digging, don't even mention digging!
      sigh... The fires have been so awful, we're lucky to only just be seeing smoke in the area this late in the game. I'm so allergic to smoke it gives me migraines. Hoping it rains soon! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Fires are so awful...to say nothing of how scary they are. Your shed is fantastic and I love how nicely the new/old door fits. Your yard and plants are all looking great, too.

    I don't envy you the crawl space/attic jobs at all! UGH!! Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no about the fires. That has to be scary. I hope they get that all under control. I love seeing your pretty shed and your garden looks so pretty too. I think I saw on FB that you broke your toe too. I hope that is feeling better. It is always something Anne! Have a good weekend.
    xoox
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, your cats and Izzy...while it's frustrating that they're destroying your garden, it has to be fun watching them have so much fun...Hopefully as the two younger ones mature the garden won't be so interesting. Crossing fingers, lol. New shed door arrangement looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always so proud of the many varieties of hostas in my flower beds and they were beautiful UNTIL over the past several years I have become the "cat lady" to approximately a dozen community and feral cats. I feed, shelter, spay/neuter and provide what I can for them, so for the most part, they stick around. What they "stick around" in are my hostas. Those nice big leaves make perfect summertime beds when smashed down to cover the ground. Sleep on the ground? Oh no, never. They have lovely hosta leaves to curl up on. What can I say. Which is more important - a poor homeless outdoor kitty's comfort or my hosta garden? I no longer have the choice, but my colony is well fed, healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we put up with for our pets! or in your case, homeless kitties. :) I agree, the health and wellbeing of another living creature is more important. xox

      Delete
  6. Your manage to create so many great things despite only having a small budget. Those signs are a lovely finishing touch. I have to smile at the dog copying the cats, that's just what Tavi did when he was growing up with Twinkle. He still tosses toys the same way as cats play with mice! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you believe the smoke from the BC fires made its way down to NE Oregon where we are? It's finally cleared up, but between that smoke and the Seattle area smoke we were inundated. Your yard is looking so good, even with the pet issues. I love your new garden shed door. Perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this post!....The arbor is beautiful and love that "aqua" sign!!...You always amaze me at your most wonderful projects...the greenhouse/shed is the cutest with those doors. Your summer yard is looking pretty fantastic. Hope it lasts a long while before the snow starts falling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!